Monday, March 10, 2008

HiTea Show


These are a couple of photos of my art on the walls at HiTea (link here) tea house in Chicago. Located at 14 East 11th Street, it is a nice place with good atmosphere and very friendly staff. I am grateful to them for hosting a show of my artwork, as well as to Brantley Roden for his assistance in setting things up. Brantley arranges for art to be shown at HiTea and is an artist himself. Here is a link to his website.
The folks in the photos are some chaps enjoying the atmosphere, tea, food and free internet the establishment has to offer. Thank you guys!

"Sun" Acrylic on Canvas, 2008. I will probably paint over this canvas. :^D

"Unititled" Acrylic on Canvas, 2007. Approximately 30 inches x 20 inches. This painting started out with a painting of a body, then a heart and finally ended up as a black and white and color field of energy.

"Space" Acrylic on Canvas, 2008. This painting is about 6 feet tall x 4.5 feet wide. Good painting, not so good photo. I promise to get a better photo posted soon as this is part of a triptych that I am eager to post here and show in public.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what a pleasant surprise! I love these paintings absolutely and I hope you do not paint over the sun painting bc it might be my favorite. It looks so textural and colorful. Bravo!

Robert Shapiro said...

Hi Steve, it's good to see your work coming along so well - and this is a wonderful opportunity to be seen in a place where so many people come and go.

Is Chicago a permanent thing for you now. If so that's great. Hope you are getting along well there.

My Father lived many years in Chicago long before I was a twinkle in his eye. So - it can't be too bad then eh ;-)

Goodlife.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
Congrats on your show! The paintings are great. I agree with Sanchez that you should not paint over the sun painting. The color contrasts make it visually entertaining and pleasing to the eye. It also appears very tactile and 3D in the photograph. It gives me the feeling of wanting to reach out and touch it. Great work! Kathleen

Steve said...

Sanchez,
Thank you for your comment and your visit to my blog. It seems that someone agrees with you.. perhaps I will have to reconsider my hasty decision. :^)
Steve

Robert,
Yes, it is nice to have the work be seen in a place like this. I am working on organizing all I have done over the past years and trying to show it. Or at least trying to show it.
I don't really know if Chicago is permanent. Right now I am following the flow of things. I do miss some of the other places I have lived sometimes. And, I definitely plan to return to Santa Barbara. Don't know if that answers your query.
Thank you for sharing about your Father, yes, Chicago must not be so bad. A bright twinkle indeed.
Steve

Hi Kathleen,
Thank you for sharing. Glad you visited. As I told Sanchez, apparently I have made an impetuous decision. I will have to rethink.
I hope that things are good with you. Best,
Steve